Erectile disorder (ed), on occasion known as impotence, is defined as failure to obtain or maintain an erection until finishing touch of pleasant sexual interest. Problem in getting or retaining erection on the time of intercourse is likewise known as erectile dysfunction. Alternative phrases for erectile disorder are impotency, erectile failure, sexual inadequacy, sexual inadequacy, much less erection, reduced erection, failure in intercourse, sexual incompetence, erection hassle, less hardness of penis, looseness of penis.
Erectile dysfunction (impotency) can be of many forms like
- It may be whole erectile sickness: i. E. A few men obtain no erection at all.
- An erection may occur within the regular manner, but as the love play continues the erection is lost.
- The erection may be maintained very properly up to the factor of entry. As soon as entry is tried, the erection disappears.
- May be maintained beyond the point of entry, and then decrease after a period of activity inside the vagina before discharge.
Patient feels pissed off, depressed, ashamed, has lowered embarrassed & might also even disturb his family relationship erectile dysfunction is basically due to loss of blood flow (negative movement) to the penis that results in the lack of ability to gain or hold an erection main to negative or unachievable sexual performance.
This circumstance is frequently very difficult and embarrassing for men to talk about due to the fact their sexual overall performance commonly taken into consideration an indication in their virility.
It may also affect personal relationships, especially those with your companion, and can cause a lack of intimacy, battle, anxiety, brought stress and even anger.
In diverse estimation studies, 15 million to 30 million people global are affected with erectile dysfunction to some extent.
At a while, all men experience erectile problem. However for 30 million men within the united states, erectile dysfunction is a chronic persistent problem. In a survey in u. S. A. 40% of 40 year. old men, 70% of 70 yrs Old men complained of a few degree of impotency.
Erectile disorder is more common in older and middle aged people, but now a days younger aged people are also getting effected because of bad life style . Many men begin to observe changes in sexual function as they become older.
Erections may additionally take longer to expand, may not be as inflexible or may also take extra direct touch to the penis to occur. Formerly called impotence, erectile dysfunction turned into once a taboo situation. It turned into considered a mental problem or a natural consequence of growing older. Those attitudes have changed in current years. It’s now acknowledged that erectile dysfunction is greater often because of physical troubles than by means of psychological ones.
Even though you may view erectile disorder as a private or embarrassing problem to speak along with your health practitioner about sexual problems, it’s important to seek treatment. In most instances, erectile disorder may be successfully treated.
An occasional lack of ability to preserve an erection takes place to most men and is normal. But on-going erection issues are a sign of erectile dysfunction and have to be treated. In some cases, erectile disorder is the primary signal of another underlying health condition that needs treatment.
Most cases of erectile dysfunction are treatable. Erectile disorder is treatable at any age, and awareness of this fact has been growing. More men have been seeking assist and returning to normal sexual activity. In the past, it was believed that erectile disorder became largely caused by psychological troubles. Nowadays, maximum experts agree that, in 85 percentage of instances, erectile disorder is the end result of physical factors, most of which can be handled. Now majority patients are cured by proper diagnosis & correction of the disorder. Hence now more & more people are in search of medical advice concerning their problems.
Erectile dysfunction, irrespective of the reason, leads both sexual companions to revel in a variety of emotions and extreme emotions, inclusive of an experience of hopelessness and low self-esteem. These feelings can make stronger a man’s performance tension and create a cycle of repeated failure and increasingly more bad emotions.
To overcome those feelings, both companions ought to well known the problem and talk openly and honestly with each other. Because sexual overall performance is connected so strongly to a person’s self-esteem, erectile disorder can be devastating not only to his sex life but also to his feel of self.
Men with erectile disorder regularly increase emotions of inadequacy, embarrassment, or guilt, and may keep in mind themselves unattractive to their companion. Those feelings may reason a man to keep away from intimate conditions, isolate himself from the connection, or withdraw from his partner, which can increase tension in the relationship. Whether the reason is physical factors or physiological factor or a combination of both, erectile disorder can grow to be a source of intellectual and emotional strain for a person — and his partner.
If you experience erectile dysfunction only on occasion, try not to assume that you have a permanent problem or to expect it to happen again during your next sexual encounter. Don’t view one episode of erectile dysfunction as a lasting comment on your health, virility or masculinity. Try to communicate openly and honestly about your condition. Treatment is often more successful if couples work together as a team. You may even want to see a counsellor with your partner. This can help you to have an effective treatment.
Usually following thoughts comes to the mind of person suffering from Erectile dysfunction (Impotency):
- I feel frustrated because of my erection problem,
- My erection problem makes me feel depressed.
- I feel like less of man because of my erection problem.
- I have lost confidence in my sexual ability.
- I worry that I won’t be able to get or keep an erection.
- I feel that I have lost control over my erections.
- I worry about the future of my sex life.
- I have lost pleasure in sex because of my erection problem.
- I try to avoid having sex.
- I worry that I am not satisfying her because of my erection problem.
- Whether I will be able to have child?
- The nerves leading to the penis are intact and working properly.
- There must also be adequate blood circulation and
- There must be a sexual stimulation signal from the brain. If any of these three essential ingredients are compromised in any way, an erection will not occur or the quality of the erection will be impaired.
- Peripheral vascular disease.
- Myocardial infarction.
- Arterial hypertension.
- That resulting from radiation therapy.
- That related to prostate cancer treatment.
- Blood vessel and nerve trauma (eg, due to long-distance bicycle riding).
- Medications related to treatment of vascular disease.
- Diabetes mellitus.
- Renal failure.
- Liver cirrhosis.
- Cancer and cancer treatment.
- Multiple sclerosis.
- Alzheimer disease.
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Sleep apnea.
- Peyronie disease.
- Widower syndrome.
- Performance anxiety.
- Stress guilt,
- Zinc deficiency.
- Sickle cell anaemia.
- Procedures on the brain and spinal cord.
- Abdominal perineal resection.
- Surgical removal of the prostate for cancer.
- Surgical treatment of the prostate for benign disease.
- Transurethral resection of the prostate.
- Cryosurgery of the prostate.
- Antihypertensive (Medicines to Lower high Blood Pressure).
- Antiulcer agents, such as cimetidine and finasteride.
- 5-Alpha reductase inhibitors.
- Cholesterol-lowering agents.
- Practice Yoga and meditation regularly to keep away anxiety, depression and stress. Meditation and Yoga are best stress busters.
- Weight reduction helps to increase testosterone level and increases sexual energy and stamina. Weight reduction helps to keep hypertension and diabetes in control. Diabetes causes erectile dysfunction and anti-hypertensive medications may cause erectile dysfunction.
- Exercise regularly and daily. Brisk walk for 45 minutes is the best exercise which keeps the cardiovascular system healthy. Researches have shown that the incidences of erectile dysfunction are less in men who regularly exercise.
- Reduce the frequency of masturbation.
- Sleep at least for 8 hours a day. Body gets energized with good sleep.
- Take all steps to prevent indigestion and constipation. Indigestion and constipation cause diseases. Hard erections will not occur when body is not healthy.
- Happy and comfortable atmosphere at home is very essential to stimulate sexual desire and keep sexually healthy.
- Work with your doctor to manage conditions that can lead to erectile dysfunction, such as diabetes and heart disease.
- Avoid hot, spicy and bitter foods.
- Avoid working for long hours. Take a break from regular routine at weekends and spend time with your partner.
- Do not have the fear of not getting hard erections or do not doubt your ability to satisfy your partner. It will lead to psychological Erectile Dysfunction.
- Do not control natural urges. Empty your bladder before going to bed with your partner.
- Do not drink alcohol.
- Stop smoking.
How Erections Form?
Male sexual arousal is a complex process involving the brain, hormones, emotions, nerves, muscles and blood vessels. If something affects any of these systems — or the delicate balance among them — erectile dysfunction can result.
Before we go on to explain the causes of erectile dysfunction, it might be useful if we describe how an erection forms in the first place. The penis contains two cylindrical chambers called the corpus cavernosa which fill up with blood through a network of arteries when a sexual stimulation signal is sent from the brain.
When a man is sexually aroused, the brain sends a signal down nerve fibres in the body, instructing the arteries in the penis to expand. As the arteries expand, blood flows into the corpus cavernosa and the veins constrict, trapping pressurised blood in the penis and causing the erection to form.
In order for a man to achieve an erection it is important that:
Causes of Erectile Dysfunction:
Prolonged erectile dysfunction can be a marker for underlying problems. The problems could be physical or psychological or a combination of the two.
A. Physical causes of erectile dysfunction :
At one time, doctors thought erectile dysfunction was primarily caused by psychological issues. But this isn’t true. While thoughts and emotions always play a role in getting an erection, erectile dysfunction is usually caused by something physical, such as a chronic health problem or the side effects of a medication. Sometimes a combination of things causes erectile dysfunction.
Vascular diseases are those which affect the arteries such as arteriosclerosis which can be caused by smoking, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. These diseases affect blood flow, which in turn, has an impact on the ability to achieve an erection.
2. Vascular Disease
Diabetes can cause nerve and arterial damage which can in turn make achieving an erection difficult in this group of men. Men with diabetes will suffer from erectile dysfunction.
3. Kidney Disease
Kidney disease can have an impact on our chemical make up, including hormones and nerve function. This can in turn affect our ability to achieve an erection.
4. Neurological Diseases
Any disease that interrupts the signals that the brain sends out can have an impact on erectile function. Such diseases include Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, stroke or multiple sclerosis.
Some operations can cause damage to some of the nerves and tissue near the penis such as surgeries for prostate cancer and bladder cancer. Sometimes the damage will be permanent but in some cases the issue will resolve itself after the healing process which can be up to 18 months.
6. Hormonal Imbalance
The lack of certain hormones in the body can make it difficult for a man to be sexually stimulated. The primary male hormone is testosterone. After the age of 40, a man’s testosterone level gradually declines. About 5% of men that doctors see for erectile dysfunction have low testosterone levels.
The primary male hormone is testosterone. After the age of 40, a man’s testosterone level gradually declines. About 5% of men that doctors see for erectile dysfunction have low testosterone levels. Testosterone deficiency, which is rare, can result in the loss of libido (sexual desire). An excess of the hormone prolactin, produced by tumors in the pituitary gland, reduces levels of testosterone, resulting in Erectile dysfunction (Impotency).
7. Leaking Veins
If the veins in the penis are damaged and leak, blood cannot be prevented from leaving the penis and an erection is therefore not able to be sustained. This type of damage can be caused by either injury or disease.
8. Enlarged prostates
Enlarged prostates have also recently been linked to causing erectile dysfunction. If someone is suffering from this condition, it is likely that any impotence will be accompanied by another symptom: difficulty in passing urine.
B. Psychological Factors affecting Erectile Dysfunction :
It is estimated that up to 20% of all cases of erectile dysfunction are caused by psychological factors. These can range from stress, anxiety, guilt, depression, low self-esteem, and fear of sexual failure caused by work, financial or marital problems. Some men who have suffered from an episode of impotence in the past may suffer from performance anxiety, which can in itself lead to a problem achieving an erection.
C. Medications Affecting Erectile Function :
It is a well-established fact that some medications can cause erectile dysfunction, it can affect hormones, blood circulation and the nervous system, thereby leading to erectile dysfunction in some men.
The number of medications which can cause impotence is too numerous to list them here. If you are taking medication and you suspect that it may be the culprit behind your erectile dysfunction, it is very important that you do not stop the treatment but visited consult your doctor. More than 200 prescription medications may directly cause or contribute to erectile dysfunction. Among these are drugs for high blood pressure, antidepressants, tranquilizers, antihistamines, appetite suppressants, and cimetidine (an ulcer drug), sedatives, and a number of over-the-counter medications, use of illegal drugs such as heroin and cocaine also can cause erectile dysfunction.
D. Lifestyle :
Alcohol and drugs, obesity, cigarette smoking (Incidence of impotence is approximately 85 per cent higher in male smokers compared to non-smokers, Smoking is a key cause of erectile dysfunction. Smoking causes impotence because it promotes arterial narrowing. Various antihypertensive (medications intended to control high blood pressure) Excessive alcohol use has long been recognised as one cause of impotence.